TAYLOR IS JACOB

Good news about New Moon from director Chris Weitz:

I’m very happy to announce that Taylor Lautner will be playing Jacob Black in New Moon and that he’s doing so with the enthusiastic support of Summit Entertainment, the producers, and Stephenie Meyer.

The characters in Stephenie’s books go through extraordinary changes of circumstance and also appearance; so it is not surprising that there has been speculation about whether the same actor would portray a character who changes in so many surprising ways throughout the series. But it was my first instinct that Taylor was, is, and should be Jacob, and that the books would be best served by the actor who is emotionally right for the part. I think that fans of Twilight the book and the movie will be surprised by the Jacob Black that Taylor will bring to the screen in New Moon; and I’m looking forward to working with him and the rest of the cast in realizing the film.

very best

Chris Weitz

I’d just like to add that I was very much a part of this decision. My first priority was always what was best for New Moon—what was going to give us the best possible movie. I’m truly thrilled that Taylor was the one who proved to the director, to Summit, and to me that he is the best possible Jacob we could have. And I’m very much looking forward to seeing what he’s going to bring to Jacob’s character this year.

– Steph

Comments

1. AriLovesEdward says

ahhhhhhhhhhh! Yay!

2. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    taylor is jacob taylor is jacob
    yeah this is awesome

3. i dont think my other one posted sooo…

OH MY JACOB!!! OMJOMJOMJOMJOMJOMJOMJ!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! IM SO FREAKING EXCITED!!! YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWOOPWOOPPF***CKKKKYESSSSSBABYWOOOOOOOO!!!

hahhaha..
    so stoked right now.

4. Yay I’m so happy for him getting the part he definetely is jacob!!!!!

5. YES!!!!!

6. I guess I will have to see another movie with Sharkboy…lol. I am happy for him though…

7. raybanlover says

YYYEEESSSSS. i wasnt even going to see the movie if taylor wasnt in it. oh, and btw, he is HHOOTTT.

8. YAAAY!! not a jacob fan but YAAAY!

9. WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!! I am so happy!!! Yeah for Taylor and all his fans!!!!

10. YES!!!! WOOOOO TAYLOR!! You will wow us again, I am positive. Congrats! *does happy dance*

11. mickeyrandy3 says

Sweet!!!

12. ilovejacob!!! says

HOORAY!!!!!!! I was so worried about it!!! I’m so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Taylor as Jacob!!!!!!!

13. Mrs. Everarianas Edward Cullen says

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
    TAYLOR IS JACOB AND JACOB IS TAYLOR ๐Ÿ™‚
    IN YOUR FACE COPON!
    TAYLOR KICKS ASS!!

14. ok ok. i guess hes ok.
    still…
    TEAM EDWARD!!!!!WOOT WOOT

15. Chris Weitz gets points from me for this one. Congratulations, Taylor!

16. ChelseaLee says

YAY! *dances like a mad woman*

I am so RELIEVED!!

17. OMGGGGGGGG!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I HATE YOU COPON! OMG IM SO HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

18. YAY!!! NOW I DON’T HAVE TO BOYCOTT NEW MOON!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

19. OMGOSH! That’s so great! he deserves it and I know he’s going to do amazing! I can’t wait!!!! Thank you everyone! lol

20. YAY…i’m so happy for Taylor. I wouldn’t have liked it if they had changed the actor who plays Jacob. For me Taylor IS Jacob.

21. omg,omg yayyy!
    (SCREAMS)
    im team edward,but im soo happy taylor lautner is playing jacob.
    new moon juss wouldnt be the samee!
    yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

22. Chris Weitz goes up a few notches in my book! Taylor’s back!!!!!!!
    Hooray for New Moon

23. Yayayyyayayaya!!!! Good for him!! xx

24. Christina Cullen says

I SERIOUSLY SCREAMED WHEN I READ THIS!!!!! <33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

I LOVE TAYLOR!!!

25. cool
    my little catchphrase turned news title

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME NEWS!

26. HECK TO THE YES!!!!!
    now i can actually be excited about new moon!

27. HURRAH!

I don’t usually check the Lex QUITE this often, but somehow I just got online and thought maybe I should come check just in case there was any news…perhaps I’m secretly psychic! I also just ran outside into the snow to tell my mom the news right away; we’ve both been really hoping Taylor would get to keep the part and dying to hear the news. I’m really glad Weitz and co. made the right decision here – Taylor really deserves the part; he’s a fantastic Jake and I can’t wait to see him take on all the Jaketastic parts of New Moon. Congrats, Taylor!

28. oh I am SO glad that taylor will be jacob! splendid!! I seriously can’t stop smiling!

29. ๐Ÿ˜€

30. Whew! I’ve been waiting for this decision for far too long. I’m thrilled that Taylor will continue to portray Jacob in New Moon.

31. I am not team jacob or anything but im glad taylor gets the chance to continue to play jacob. I would have felt awful if he was axed…. he was practically begging for the role! go taylor!

32. Vamp_angel says

33. SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!

Can’t WAIT for New Moon now ๐Ÿ™‚

34. OH YES!!!! I am soooo happy about this.

I simply cannot WAIT for New Moon!! Yay!

35. I am very happy. When they came up with him for Twilight, I was so excited! it was like somebody took my image of Jacob right out of my mind (sorry, but before this movie I had no idea who he was) and he was great, even though he hardly had any lines in the movie at all. But he has something that a lot of the actors out there don’t have: a passion for twilight and the wonderful world that SM has created. So, I really think this is a great desition. BTW, let’s hope they change Nikki R. as Rosalie, since her aunt is no longer the director, and get somebody who actually looks like Rosalie…

36. Oh thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I can’t wait!!!!

37. whoo hoo!!!!!!!
    i am so FREAKIN HAPPY!!
    i dont personally like taylor but i HATE IT
    when they change the characters in a sequel!!
    i CANNOT wait till the movie comes out and i am sooo EXCITED!

38. hills is just a dreamer says

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ๐Ÿ™‚
    i’m so much more excited now!

39. ohh and also..i think taylor plays a good jacob so im glad about that too ๐Ÿ™‚

40. omggg ive been checking the lex at least 398509234 times a dayyyyy waiting for this news! IM SO HAPPY ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ahhh i cant wait

41. THANK GOD!!!!!!
    Super hotness Taylor will survive!!!!
    Love him!!!!
    I’m so happy for him!!
    He deserves it so much! He’s worked super hard for this role and was perfect in twilight and will be bomb on new moon!

42. I repeat… Thank God!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Can’t wait for the DVD or New Moon!!

43. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE KABOOOMEEEE!!!! I don’t know what that means, but it i think it means HECK FREAKIN YES TAYLOR!!!

44. YES!

45. Congrats to Taylor. I think it’s better that he continue to play the part, because I think it would take away from the movie with a different actor. So…yay!

46. emilypruitt says

I am so glad Taylor proved to Summit and everyone on that side of things that he is the best man/pup for the job ๐Ÿ˜‰

..because this side of things already knew he was.

47. Yes!!!
    I’m so happy!
    Taylor IS Jacob, and he definitely deserves the part. Congrats to him! I know he’ll do amazing ๐Ÿ™‚

48. YES! TAYLOR LAUTNER FOR THE WIN!!! today was a very exciting day! i went to my friends house and then come home to find that TAYLOR LAUTNER IS BEING JACOB BLACK!!!! WOOOOOT!!!!!!!!

49. I’m glad they decided to keep Taylor on! He seems really committed to the part and it will be good to see how he plays the older jacob! I thought he did great as a younger version!

i know some people disagree b/c they love the jacob/bella story- but as a die-hard Team Edward member, I don’t really need to have the connection with the guy who plays Jacob like I do to say… um.. Robert Pattinson!?
    ๐Ÿ™‚

50. I guess I will see how it goes. I want to know if they have too make hijm look older to. I HOPE so or it wont feel like the same story to me.but i will still support him though.